Thursday, January 24, 2013

NICU Part 2

They sent me home Monday night. Luckily my mom had come that day so Brooks and I could travel back and forth from the hospital together. We were at the hospital at midnight, 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. We didn't get much sleep that night. Luckily the drive is only 10 min, but with an hour feeding in between. My milk hadn't come in yet to pump enough for another feeding.  

Tuesday morning they took her off oxygen and she was able to keep it stable. At that point they had the Group B Strep test results back. They weren't 100% confident that she didn't have any, but they were sure enough to stop the antibiotics. If she did have the infection they would see signs of it pretty quickly once she stopped the antibiotics, but they never did. She still had to stay in the hospital 48 hours after being taken off the oxygen. There was still another blood test that came back a little questionable as well so we were still waiting for that to clear up.

Her billirubin test score came back high as well so they put her on lights.  When Benson saw this picture he said "Cool Spiderman mask!!"

The second night was better. I had pumped enough milk to leave a bottle, but I also got wise and told the nurses to feed her formula if she needed more because after almost 24 hours of going to the hospital every 3 hours and very little sleep the night before I was at the verge of emotional breakdown!  We left the hospital at 9 p.m. and didn't go back till 6 a.m.

Thank goodness  for my mom!! I debated on whether or not to have her come. I'm so glad she did, we have friends that I know would have been happy to watch the boys, but it was nice to not have to worry about where they were or where they needed to go every time we went to the hospital. She was a life saver and the boys LOVED spending time with her!

No comments: